General Practice Dentistry
Goals and Objectives
An Advanced Education Program in General Practice Residency is an educational program designed to provide training beyond the level of pre-doctoral education in oral health care, using applied basic and behavioral sciences. Education in such a program is based on the concept that oral health is an integral and interactive part of total oral health. This program is designed to expand the scope and depth of the graduates’ knowledge, providing the skills and competencies to enable them to provide comprehensive oral health care to a wide range of populations groups.
At the completion of this program, the resident will have mastered the competencies necessary to:
1. Act as a primary care provider for individuals and groups of patients. This includes: providing emergency and multidisciplinary comprehensive oral health care; providing patient focused care that is coordinated by the general practitioner; directing health promotion and disease prevention activities, and using advanced treatment modalities.
2. Plan and provide multidisciplinary oral health care for a wide variety of patients including pediatrics, special needs, geriatric and medically compromised.
3. Manage the delivery of oral health care by applying concepts of patient and practice management and continuous quality improvement that are responsive to a dynamic health care environment.
4. Function effectively within the hospital and other health care environments.
5. Function effectively within interdisciplinary health care teams.
6. Apply scientific principles to learning and oral health care. This includes using critical thinking, evidence or outcomes-based clinical decision-making and technology-based information retrieval systems.
7. Utilize the values of professional ethics, lifelong learning, patient-centered care, adaptability and acceptance of cultural diversity in professional practice.
8. Understand the oral health needs of communities and engage in community service.
It is therefore the objective of the hospital-based General Practice Dental Residency Program at St. Elizabeth Health Center to produce a general dentist with a high level of clinical competency that allows the practitioner to care for a broad spectrum of patient complexities, working in concert with dental and medical colleagues in the healthcare community.