The Program Requirements for Residency Education in General Surgery state that "the program must provide teaching in critical thinking, design of experiments, and evaluation of data as well as in technological advances that relate to surgery and the care of patients with surgical diseases. The teaching faculty demonstrates an active interest in research involvement, which includes publications in peer-reviewed journals, presentations at national and regional scientific meetings, and research protocols that are approved by appropriate committees. Clinical and/or basic science research is ongoing in the Department of Surgery/ Surgical Education.RESEARCH PROJECTS
1. Heffner JJ, Fagan D, Marie H, Dorion HA. Mesenchymal stromal cells to improve fascial repair. Abstract submitted to Association for Academic Surgery/Society of University Surgeons; to be presented by Dr. Heffner at the 5th Annual Academic Surgical Congress; February 5, 2010
2. Kavic MS. Moderator—Hernia. AsianAmerican MultiSpecialty Summit IV, Laparoscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery; Honolulu, HA; February 11, 2010
3. Kavic MS. Moderator—Multidisciplinary. AsianAmerican MultiSpecialty Summit IV, Laparoscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery; Honolulu, HA; February 12, 2010
4. Kavic MS. Moderator—General Surgery. AsianAmerican MultiSpecialty Summit IV, Laparoscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery; Honolulu, HA; February 13, 2010
5. Gruber BS. Planning Committee/moderator: St. Elizabeth Health Center Trauma Symposium 2010 Trauma Care. Mahoning Country Club, Girard, OH; March 11, 2010
6. Kavic MS. Faculty, Advisory Council. Hernia Repair 2010, American Hernia Society; Orlando, FL; March 17-20, 2010
7. Kavic MS. Moderator: Interesting Topics, Hernia Repair 2010, American Hernia Society; Orlando, FL; March 17-20, 2010
8. Heffner JJ, Dorion HA, Fagan D, Krontiris-Litowitz J, Marie H, Kavic MS. Autologous mesenchymal stromal cells applied to bioprosthetic mesh to improve fascial repair: a novel concept in prevention of hernia formation. 2010 Hernia Resident/Fellow; recipient of $25,000 research grant from LifeCell. Research presentation at the AHS Annual Conference; March 17-20, 2010
9. Williams MD, Holmes JW. Methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus screening and eradication in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit; is it worth it? Submitted to Southwestern Surgical Congress 62nd Annual Meeting; presented by Dr. Holmes for Oral Scientific Presentation March 24, 2010; paper to be submitted to American Journal of Surgery
10. Obeng MK. Breast developmental anomalies; breast reconstruction; overview of the female breast. Department of Surgery Grand Rounds; University of Science & Tecynology/Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital; Kumasi, Ghana, Africa; May 17-21, 2010.
11. Argun OB, Reihsen T, Kavic MS, et al. Do laparoscopic virtual reality simulators demonstrate convergent validity? Poster presentation at the American Urologic Association Annual Meeting, May 28-June 3, 2010; San Francisco, CA.
12. Memo RA. Panel discussion and moderator; presentation: Health policy reform panel; Accountable Care Organizations. North Central Section of the American Urologic Association; Chicago IL; September 29-October 2, 2010
13. Ransom K. Moderator and Speaker: Panel session—ACS Clinical Congress. The role of the surgeon in cost-effective practices in the hospital, Chicago: October 7, 2010
14. Vanek VW. Moderator: A novel approach to parenteral nutrition, 20th Annual Nutrition Symposium; St. Elizabeth Health Center, Youngstown, OH; November 11, 2010.
15. Vanek VW. Current parenteral vitamin and trace element solutions: too little or too much? Presented by Dr. Vanek at: A novel approach to parenteral nutrition, 20th Annual Nutrition Symposium; St. Elizabeth Health Center, Youngstown, OH; November 11, 2010.
>> Back to the Top
LOCAL PRESENTATIONS 2010
1. Obeng MK. Reattachment of upper extremity. WFMJ Healthy Living; February 23, 2010.
2. Obeng MK. Mission work in Ghana with RESTORE Worldwide; Vindicator; February 15, 2010
3. Obeng MK. Black history month leadership, achievement, and lives of the Valley. WKBN, WYTV; February 11, 2010.
4. Vanek VW. Vitamin, mineral, and other nutritional abnormalities after bariatric surgery. Mahoning Valley Dietetics Association; St. Elizabeth Health Center; March 6, 2010.
5. Gruber BS. Trauma's role in community education. WFMJ; March 11, 2010
6. Langenberg MT. Carotid endarterectomy and carotid artery stenting. WFMJ Healthy Living; 6 p.m. March 11, 2010
7. Dunch DJ. Colorectal cancer. WFMJ Healthy Living; 6 p.m.; March 16, 2010
8. Obeng MK. Understanding skin are. Lunch/Learn at St. Elizabeth Health Center; April 13, 2010.
9. Obeng MK. Reattachment of finger. WKBN Feature News Story; April 25, 2010.
10. Kohli CM. Severe brain injury; St. Elizabeth Health Center; April 27, 2010
11. Joseph TA. Stiff joints in the physical therapy patient; Competitive Edge Sports Medicine 2010 Lecture Series; St. Elizabeth Health Center, April 29, 2010
12. Padia SA. Gantt NL. The patient navigator and quality of life in breast cancer patients. SEHC Resident Research Day 6/11/10, Scientific Presentation; NEOUCOM Surgery Research Day 5/12/10, Oral Presentation
13. Zeyl TJ. Incidence and risk factors of atrial fibrillation following coronary artery bypass surgery. SEHC Resident Research Day 6/11/10, Scientific Presentation; NEOUCOM Surgery Residency Research Day 5/12/10, Oral Presentation.
14. Chirichella TJ. Attenuated hypocholesterolemia following severe trauma signals risk for ventilator-associated pneumonia, ventilator dependency, and death. NEOUCOM Surgery Residency Research Day 5/12/10 – Oral Presentation; SEHC Resident Research Day 6/11/10 – Scientific Presentation
15. Abdu, RA. Joanie Abdu Comprehensive Breast Care Center; WFMJ; 6 p.m.; June 23, 2010
16. Evan SJ. Colon Cancer; Professional Development CEE Program; St. Elizabeth Boardman Health Center; June 30, 2010
17. Joseph TA. Stiff joints in the physical therapy patient; Competitive Edge Sports Medicine 2010 Lecture Series; St. Elizabeth Health Center, July 1, 2010
18. Ricchiuti DJ. Prostate cancer awareness month. WKBN; September 8, 2010; 6 a.m.
>> Back to the TopPUBLICATIONS 2010
1. Abdu RA. Journey of a Yemeni boy. Burmese Language Translation; US Department of State, Speaker's Bookshelf Selections.
2. Kim A, Biteman B, Malik UF, et al. A case of pseudohyperkalemia in a patient presenting with leukocytosis and high potassium level: case report. CASES J (BioMed Central) 2010; 3:73.
3. Ricchiuti DJ, Cerone J, Shie S, et al. Diminished suture strength after robotic needle driver manipulation. Journal of Endourology; July 2010;24(9):1509-13.
>> Back to the TopPUBLICATIONS 2009
1. Ransom KJ. Kavic MS. Laparoscopic splenectomy for blunt trauma: a safe operation following embolization. Published: Surgical Endoscopy 2009;23:352-355.
2. Desai S, Williams MD. Surgical Critical Care. in Desai S, Jacobs DO. Clinical Review of Surgery, ABSITE and Board Preparation III. Catalyst Publishers, 2009; www.clinicalreview.com - online testing residency program.
3. Sweeney DD, Tomaszewski JJ, Ricchiuti D, Averch TD. Effect of carbohydrate-electrolyte sports beverages on urinary stone risk factors. Journal of Urology 2009;182;992-997.
4. Corcoran AT, Smaldone MC, Ricchiuti D, Averch TD. Management of benign ureteral strictures in the endoscopic era. Journal of Endourology 2009; 23(11):1909-12.
5. McClave SA, Martindale RG, Vanek VW, McCarthy M, Roberts P, Taylor B, Ochoa JB, Napolitano L, Cresci G, A.S.P.E.N. Board of Directors, American College of Critical Care Medicine. Guidelines for the Provision and Assessment of Nutrition Support Therapy in the Adult Critically Ill Patient:: Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (A.S.P.E.N.). JPEN, 2009, 33:277-316.
6. McClave SA, Martindale RG, Vanek VW, McCarthy M, Roberts P, Taylor B, Ochoa JB, Napolitano L, Cresci G, A.S.P.E.N. Board of Directors, American College of Critical Care Medicine. Guidelines for the Provision and Assessment of Nutrition Support Therapy in the Adult Critically Ill Patient:: Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM) and American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition Executive Summary Crit Care Med 2009; May 37(5): 1757-1761.
7. Dunham CM, Katradis AD, Williams MD. The bispectral index, a useful adjunct for the timely diagnosis of brain death in the comatose trauma patient. American Journal of Surgery 2009;198:846-851.
8. Holevar M, Dunham CM, Brautigan R, et al. Practice management guidelines for timing of tracheostomy; the EAST Practice Management Guidelines Work Group. Journal of Trauma 2009;67(4):870-74.
9. Como JJ, Diaz JJ Jr, Dunham CM, et al. Practice management guidelines for identification of cervical spine injuries following trauma—update from the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma Practice Management Guidelines Committee. Journal of Trauma 2009;67(3):651-59.
10. Davis G, Ugokwe K, Roger EP, et al. Clinics in neurology and neurosurgery of sport: Asymptomatic cervical canal stenosis and transient quadriparesis. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2009;43:1154-1158
11. Davis G, Johnson, McCormick PC, Roger E, Ugokwe K, et al. Clinics in neurology and neurosurgery of sport: Lumbar spine; sequestrated disc prolapse and disc bulge. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2009;43:796-801PAPERS ACCEPTED FOR PUBLICATION
1. Chirichella TJ. Lingual artery pseudoaneurysm with arteriovenous fistula formation following a gunshot wound: Journal of Surgical Radiology.
2. Marie H, Zhang Y, Heffner J. Biomechanical and elastographic analysis of wound healing effect using mesenchymal stromal cell treated tissue following surgery. Accepted for publication.
3. Dorion HA, Marchand TD, Williams MD. Fall from standing height: morbid in the elderly and a coming trauma epidemic. Abstract accepted; Archives of Surgery
4. Kavic MS, Kavic SM, Kavic SM. Hernias of the pelvic wall.
>> Back to the Top
PROJECTS IN PROGRESS
1. Dunham CM, Carter KJ, Castro F, Erickson B. Impact of cervical spine management brain injury on functional survival outcomes in comatose trauma patients with a normal cervical spine CT and no motor deficit; application of the Monte Carlo method. Submitted to Journal Critical Care
2. Chirichella TJ, Heffner JJ, Martin JA, Rosteck M, Obeng MK, Delatore JR, Langenberg MT, Pesa FA, Chahine A, Krishnan E, Garg S. Transplantation of autologous mesenchymal stem cells in chronic wounds. Research proposal presented to IRB 10/20/10
3. Chirichella TJ, Dorion HA, Dunham CM, Williams MD. Lack of helmet use in Motorcycle /bicycle/ATV crash victim requiring hospitalization linked to intoxication; abstract submitted to Western Trauma Association
4. Dunham CM. Hutchinson American Eskimo, Kavic MS. Laparoscopic physiologic perturbations: implications for at-risk patients.
5. Dorion HA. Abdominal wall reconstruction following strangulated recurrent incisional hernia during pregnancy. Abstract submitted to Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Conference (poster presentation at Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Conference, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington DC; 6/25-27/09)
6. Dorion HA. Abdominal wall reconstruction following complex pelvic fracture. Abstract submitted to Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Conference (poster presentation at Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Conference, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington DC; 6/25-27/09)
7. Holmes JW, Dorion HA, Dunham CM, Cropp EJ, Warrington SJ, Williams MD. Comparison of SICU thromboelastography with standard coagulation indices; abstract submitted to Southwestern Surgical Association
8. Milosevic I, Dorion HA, Dunham CM, Williams MD. Fall from standing height in the elderly: frequent cause of significant intracranial hemorrhage complicated by warfarin; abstract submitted to Western Trauma Association
9. Chirichella TJ, Dorion HA, Dunham CM, Williams MD. Lack of helmet use in motorcycle /bicycle/ATV crash victim requiring hospitalization linked to intoxication; abstract submitted to Western Trauma Association
10. Williams MD, Ferrari JP. Methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus screening and eradication in the Surgical Intensive Care Unit; is it worth it? Submitted to Southwestern Surgical Congress 62nd Annual Meeting; accepted for Oral Scientific Presentation March 24, 2010; paper to be submitted to American Journal of Surgery
8. Dorion HA, Gruber BS, Puet TA. Functional outcomes after geriatric spinal column injuries. HMHP IRB approved; funded by Ohio Department of Public Safety, Division of Emergency Medical Services Research Grant.
9. Dorion HA, Brocker BP. Intracranial pressure monitoring is unnecessary in comatose brain injured patients that have purposeful motor response. HMHP IRB approval pending.
10. Dorion HA, Holmes JW, Flowers L, Gruber BS. Do patients with isolated traumatic intracranial hemorrhage become hypercoagulable within 7 days as demonstrated by thromboelastography (TEG)? Research application/proposal submitted to American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST) and AAST Research and Education Foundation
11. Yurich J, Kavic MS, Milosevic I. The McGill inanimate system for training and evaluation of laparoscopic skills (MISTELS): the impact of a training system on residency programs.
12. Bianco JA, Burnett A, Cook II A, Dorion HA, Gantt NL, Rhodes RA. A clinical study to evaluate the efficacy of nuclear medicine gamma camera imaging with injection of TC-99M 5-THIO-D-glucose for assistance in clinical decision making in breast lesion pathology patients. Clinical research project; submitted to St. Elizabeth Health Center IRB
13. Kakkasseril P, Vanek VW. Leukopenia in gastric bypass patients.
14. Carter RN, Yurich J, Vanek VW, Gady J. A series of retrograde intussusceptions following Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbid obesity.
15. Dorion H, Gruber B, Carter RN. Use of thromboelastography (TEG) in trauma patients with regard to head trauma and venous thromboembolism prophylaxis (prospective study, IRB approved)
16. Carter RN, Ambrose J, Miller K. Giant cystic pheochromocytoma.
17. Lloyd A, Kakkasseril P, Zeyl T, Chirichella T. Use of mesenchymal stem cells to improve wound care.
18. Heffner J, Dorion H, Horne W, Fagan D. Autologous transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells; effect on fascial healing . Research project (in progress)
19. Heffner J, Dorion H, Horne W, Fagan D. Attachment potential of mesenchymal stem cells to biological implants.
20. Yurich J, Kavic MS, Milosevic I. Study: McGill Inanimate System for training and evaluation of laparoscopic skills (MISTELS)
21. Milosevic I, Dorion H, Ricchiuti D. Incarcerated retroperitoneal hernia following laparoscopic retroperitoneal radical nephrectomy (case report).
22. Milosevic I, Hunter TJ. Case report: tracheostomy perforation
23. Holmes J, Dunham CM, Williams M. Early trach vs no trach
24. Lloyd A, Miller K, Williams M. Retrospective review perforated colon; case report
25. Lloyd A, Levy D. Necrotizing fasciitis; case report
26. Marchand T, Awad M. Colon, small bowel carcinoma; case report
27. Zeyl TJ. Hunter T. Atrial fibrillation: treatment of amiodarone vs beta blockers after aortocoronary bypass
>> Back to the Top